Open 2 #rm8

Jim Belanger

OK
In RM7, I could open the same database twice, side by side.
How do I do that in RM8?

Hon. Jim Belanger

Richard Otter

On Windows-
Copy the "Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 8" folder to a convenient location. Rename it to "SecondRM" folder.

Copy the file "C:\ProgramData\RootsMagic\Version 8\RootsMagicApp.xml" to SecondRM folder.
Copy the file "C:\Users\rotter\AppData\Roaming\RootsMagic\Version 8\RootsMagicUser.xml" to SecondRM folder.
Rename RootsMagic.exe in SecondRM to something like "=RootsMagic.exe". Doesn't matter.

Open a file in RM8.
Start the second RM by opening the renamed =RootsMagic.exe app and open the same file.
Works for me. The app is not designed to do this so there may be file locking issues that come up.
I'd turn off web hints in the SecondRM instance.
SQLite is supposed to be good about always locking the file when a write is being done.

I make no guarantees that this will work for you. Always be sure you have a known-good backup before trying something like this.

Tom Holden

Apparently I set about to do the same thing as you, Richard, as I have used the RM7 portable app installed by RM To-Go on a removable drive as a second instance of RM7 on the same database as in the main program. That allowed me to have a report screen open in one while editing in the other and quickly regenerate the report after each change. So I followed (more or less) the instructions you get on the RM8 wiki when you click on File > RootsMagic To-Go in RM8. However, that still allowed only one instance of RM8 to be opened. I renamed the RootsMagic.exe file to "RootsMagic 8 portable.exe" and created a new shortcut to it. That worked. Then it is a simple matter to set a different theme colour for each program to distinguish between the two.
--
Tom Holden ve3meo
List Administrator. Grandfather. Manager of SQLite Tools for RootsMagic

Rooty <drop1000@...>

on a mac just duplicate your RM8 file and open it too.

Tom Holden

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 09:28 PM, Rooty wrote:
on a mac just duplicate your RM8 file and open it too.
Not what is being discussed. What's wanted is two instances of the same database file so that changes in one instance are seen in the other instance. Good example is a narrative report in one and Edit Person in the other. Edit a fact and see the change in the report simply by clicking on Generate Report.

--
Tom Holden ve3meo
List Administrator. Grandfather. Manager of SQLite Tools for RootsMagic
Good posts are on-topic, have definitive subjects, don't stray, are succinct, have short signatures, and trim all but essential quotes. Be a good poster!

Jerry Bryan

On 11/5/2021 8:19 AM, Tom Holden wrote:

Not what is being discussed. What's wanted is two instances of the same database file so that changes in one instance are seen in the other instance. Good example is a narrative report in one and Edit Person in the other. Edit a fact and see the change in the report simply by clicking on Generate Report.
It wouldn't solve all the needs of having one RM8 database open in two different windows, but another thing that could help would be if the main RM8 tabs on the left hand side of the screen could be undocked into separate windows. To use Tom's example, if the Publish tab could be undocked in this manner, then  you could edit a fact in one window and immediately click Generate Report in the other window. That sort of undocking would be especially useful for users with very large monitors or multiple monitors or both.

Jerry

Tom Holden

Here's a screenshot of two instances, one on each monitor. It also works well on a single monitor, using Alt+Tab to switch between the instances. The main (editing) instance is green theme and the secondary instance red theme. I would use the second instance primarily for outputs.

--
Tom Holden ve3meo
List Administrator. Grandfather. Manager of SQLite Tools for RootsMagic

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 09:12 AM, Jerry Bryan wrote:
That sort of undocking would be especially useful for users with very large monitors or multiple monitors or both.
And even on a single monitor if undocking also enabled the window's selection via Alt+Tab, as I think you have proposed numerous times.

--
Tom Holden ve3meo
List Administrator. Grandfather. Manager of SQLite Tools for RootsMagic